We are seeking for enthusiastic, qualified and experienced Consultant Paediatrician as shown below:
CONSULTANT PAEDIATRICIAN – (1 POSITION)
The consultant will be responsible for diagnosis and treatment of sick children as well as routine assessment of children to monitor their growth and development. He/she will be expected to manage a wide range of conditions, both acute and chronic from the neonatal period to adolescence. The consultant will report to the Head of Department of paediatrics.
- Conduct regular assessments of newborns and young children to check and record their health and normal physical development.
- Obtain detailed paediatric history and examine sick children to evaluate their condition
- Reach an informed diagnosis based on scientific knowledge and individual medical history.
- Prescribe medications and give detailed instructions for administration.
- Prescribe and interpret appropriate lab tests to gain more information for possible infections or abnormalities.
- Advise and recommend vaccines according to the governmental and international vaccination schedules.
- Examine and treat injuries and refer to physicians of other disciplines when necessary (e.g. surgeons, ophthalmologists, orthopaedics, dental etc.)
- Advise parents on children’s diet, exercise and disease preventive measures.
- Keep updated medical records of patients’ illnesses, surgeries or other medical episodes including allergies.
- Prepare government and organizational reports on birth, death and disease statistics or the medical status of children when required.
- Conduct research to increase knowledge and understanding of childhood illnesses in the local setting.
- Define, implement and monitor standards of performance and participate in quality improvement of paediatrics services
- Engage in teaching and supervision of junior colleagues including interns and residents as well as participate in continuing professional development of self and colleagues.
- Any other roles assigned by the supervisor or the institutional leadership
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master Degree in Pediatrics from a recognized university.
- Fellowship/Super Specialized training will be an added advantage.
- Must have Registration from Medical Council of Tanzania (MCT).
- Must have valid License to Practice from Medical Council of Tanzania (MCT).
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in a reputable hospital.
- Experience in hospital quality program and clinical governance is desirable.
- Experience in clinical teaching and research is an added advantage
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
PLEASE NOTE: ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS. PLEASE SEND YOUR APPLICATION, (COVER LETTER, CV AND ACADEMIC CERTIFICATES)
WITH THE SUBJECT LINE OF THE POSITION OR HAND DELIVERED TO HUMAN RESOURCE
DEPARTMENT, P. O. BOX 2289,
OCEAN ROAD, DAR ES SALAAM.
CLOSING DATE FOR SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS IS END OF BUSINESS DAY ON 16TH SEPTEMBER, 2021.
“AKHS is concerned about the climate and environmental crises we face and is doing everything
possible to reduce our own impact, encouraging others to do the same, and advancing
understanding in this field. AKHS has set itself the task of getting as close to net-zero carbon
operations as possible by 2030. We expect all staff to contribute to achieving these aims in the
context of their roles. We encourage applicants with previous experience or an interest in this field to apply”
About Aga Khan Health Service
The Aga Khan Health Service, Tanzania (AKHST) an institution of The Aga Khan Development Network, completed a major phase II expansion of the Aga Khan Hospital, Dar es Salaam in 2018.
This expansion aimed at improving the Hospital’s quality of facilities and infrastructure to become an ultramodern 170 bed facility in order to increase its capacity as a provider of high-quality medical care leading to tertiary care, referral and teaching hospital.
The Phase II development focused on expanding key clinical services including a comprehensive cardiology programme, oncology services, and neurosciences, as well as the expansion of orthopedics and trauma, diagnostic imaging, critical care, and women and child health programmes.
The Hospital is JCI Accredited (achieved a level of quality and patient service that is equal to the best hospitals in the world) and the teaching site for The Aga Khan University, which offers postgraduate medical education programs leading to Masters of Medicine in Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery and Obstetrics and Gynecology.
It is also an accredited internship site. As part of the integrated health systems approach, AKHST plans to establish 35 outreach health facilities that are located across Tanzania. Currently, 20 such clinics have been established across the country and linked the main hospital in Dar es Salaam.