Job title: Finance Officer
Band: Employment band: H
Reporting to: Finance Manager
Technical line manager: Finance Manager
Direct reports: No direct reports
Unit/department: Finance Department
Location: Kibondo, Tanzania
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Finance Manger, the Finance Assistant provides financial and administrative support to DRC and partners as per DRC and donor regulations and procedures within the Country operations in Tanzania and Burundi. The Finance Assistant contributes to the development of country strategies, which are translated into action plans and day-to-day tasks. The Finance Assistant provides support and/or technical guidance to country operations while overseeing country activities.
Finance and accounting
- Day to day activities in finance department.
- Posting expenses, journals, cash advances, import salaries, in DRC Dynamics on time and ensure are of high quality, supporting documents are complete and are in accordance with DRC financial procedures and regulations before uploading into Dynamics.
- Ensure compliance with DRC procedures and guidelines.
- Assist in implementation of finance policies, procedures and systems.
- Prepare cash transfer request and send to HQ.
- Update the Finance Manager on the cash needs required to run Program Activities.
- Prepare Salary Journals every month and post in dynamics.
- Ensure there is enough Cash to run program activities.
- Closely monitor all financial activities and keep the Finance Manager informed on all situations which might have the potential negative impact on internal controls of financial performance.
- Ensure that the authorized bank signatory list and bank information forms are regularly updated and photocopies are kept on files
- Examine and evaluate financial information system, recommending controls to ensure system reliability and data integrity.
- Make recommendations regarding improving operations and financial position of DRC.
- Ensure tax and all other statutory payments are made every month before deadline.
- Ensure payments of incentive workers are made on time.
- Record accounts payable and accounts receivables in Dynamics.
- Correctly use DRC Dynamics functionalities in area of concern
- Monitor and reconcile balance accounts on Monthly basis and make sure any outstanding balance has a clear justification.
- Prepare and participate in donor verifications and annual audits.
- Work on Month End Closure File every month.
- Follow up with staff to ensure that all staff advances are settled within the same month.
- Assist the Finance Manager in other areas as required.
Budgeting & Reporting
- Support financial report preparations of Monthly, Quarterly, annually and or per the Donor rules, ensuring that they are complete, accurate and they produced on a timely basis to ensure adequate review, approval and submission to the grants unit.
- Support the development of new proposals with financial information for budgeting.
- Work Closely with Finance Manager to develop and Monitor Master and Grant Budgets and budget amendments.
- Ensure all Finance actions for monthly BFU meetings are addressed on time before the next BFU meetings including rebooking.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
- Experience with carrying out admin tasks
- Good communication skills
- Advanced proficiency in Excel
- Basic proficiency in PowerPoint and Word
- Well-developed organizational and planning skills in order to meet deadlines
- NGO experience
- Advanced English proficiency
- Fluency in Swahili
Advance Diploma in Accountancy, BBA or equivalent professional qualification
English (Fluent, written and spoken)
Swahili (Fluent, written and spoken)
Procurement and Logistics
Area Manager Tanzania
Area Manager Burundi
Country Director Tanzania/Burundi
Regional Office/Head Quarters
Local Auditor company in Tanzania
Local TAX authorities in Tanzania
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Core competencies Basic Advanced Expert
Striving for excellence ☐ ☒ ☐
Collaborating ☐ ☒ ☐
Taking the lead ☐ ☒ ☐
Communicating ☐ ☒ ☐
Demonstrating integrity ☐ ☒ ☐
Basic: I master the essentials, but may at times need help from other
Advanced: I can work independently at full professional level
Expert: I am the go-to person when others need help.
DRC as an employer
By working in DRC, you will be joining a global workforce of around 8000 employees in 40 countries. We pride ourselves on our:
Professionalism, impact & expertise
Humanitarian approach & the work we do
Purpose, meaningfulness & own contribution
Culture, values & strong leadership
Fair compensation & continuous development
Providing equal opportunities
We are committed to creating an inclusive and positive work environment based on mutual respect for all employees. All applicants are considered for employment without attention to race, age, ability, ethnicity, nationality, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other factor. At DRC we celebrate diversity and appreciate our employees for the people they are and their unique skills, backgrounds, and perspectives. We encourage all interested candidates to apply.
Promoting high standards
DRC’s capacity to ensure the protection of and assistance to refugees, IDP’s and other persons of concern depends on the ability of our staff to uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment. DRC conducts thorough and comprehensive background checks as part of the recruitment process.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 January 2022.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Danish Refugee Council