Senior Human Resources Manager
Job no: 495751
Work type: Regular Full-Time
Location: Tanzania – Dar es Salam
Categories: Human Resources
ICAP at Columbia University, a global health leader situated within the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health in New York City, seeks highly qualified candidates to serve as Senior Human Resources Manager based Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
The Senior Human Resources Manager offers overall support and direction in Human Resources function for ICAP Tanzania country operations. S/he is responsible to ensure the policies and standards are applied consistently and compliant with ICAP procedures and guidelines within the country’s operations in all offices. The position will work in close cooperation with the Director of Administration and Finance (DAF) and the Country Director (CD).
Overall Job Function:
The Senior Human Resources Manager offers overall support and direction in Human
Resources function for ICAP Tanzania country operations. S/he is responsible to ensure the
policies and standards are applied consistently and compliant with ICAP procedures and
guidelines within the country’s operations in all offices. The position will work in close
cooperation with the Director of Administration and Finance (DAF) and the Country Director
Specific Responsibilities and Duties:
• Provide leadership and oversee HR operations to ensure strategic initiatives are
implemented with a strong emphasis on recruitment, development, and retention of
• Manage disciplinary investigations, hearings, appeals and grievances.
• Develop and implement national HR strategies, plans & budgets that support
program objectives, and ensure full implementation of defined HR standards & good
• Conduct analysis and market research on salary and benefits trends and provide
guidance and recommendations to DAF and CD to ensure the program remains
• Establish and oversee recruiting, hiring and orientation plans and procedures for
• Establish and oversee internal HR policies, procedures and programs.
• Ensure communication and compliance with all internal policies and procedures as
well as external regulations and applicable labor laws.
• Manage administration of personnel benefits and compliance with tax laws,
including employee terms & conditions of service, salaries & benefits, employment
contracts, and leave records.
• Administer performance management processes to align employee performance
with ICAP program goals and objectives and assist management in creating and
retaining high performing employees and teams.
• Facilitate employee communication, provide employee services and counseling,
advise on disciplinary, grievance and conflict resolution procedures, and promote
employee safety, welfare, wellness, and health.
• Manage and resolve employee relations issues (industrial relations) and assist
management with conflict resolution to ensure that issues are identified and
addressed promptly, appropriately and fairly.
• Collaborate with the DAF and CD on sensitive matters including litigation and
implement preventative measures and assist in reducing litigation by ensuring fair
and equitable application of policies and practices.
Back to top
• Interface and coordinate with managers and supervisors to enhance communication,
education and ensure effective implementation of HR programs.
• Partner with the international human resources team to administer, communicate
and promote ICAP programs and policies.
• Supervise HR staff members.
• Conduct regular field trips to project offices to monitor and review human resource
and administrative procedures and assist project staff, where appropriate.
• Manage the country learning and development plan, identify growth and
development opportunities for high potential staff, and facilitate management &
leadership development initiatives.
• Ensure annual and mid-year performance reviews are conducted in a timely manner
• Perform any other tasks as assigned by the supervisor.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills:
• Required Education: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources
o Preferred: Master’s degree in related field is preferred.
• Required Work Experience: Minimum 8 years of progressive experience in HR with
an international organization of which at least 5 years in a senior position and must
have excellent knowledge of current Tanzania employment legislation
• Required Supervisory Experience: Minimum 5 years supervising a team of at least
• Proven leadership skills and competence in people management.
• Demonstrated understanding and working knowledge/experience of human
resources management principles, concepts & processes.
• Extensive knowledge on local labor law.
• HR certification and labor law knowledge or background
• Excellent skills in handling and advising on complex people management issues.
• Experience in developing human resources strategies and policies and driving
• Experience with managing large amounts of confidential employee information.
The position is contingent upon availability of grant funding. Columbia University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. It does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, religion, creed, national and ethnic origin, age, citizenship, status as a perceived or actual victim of domestic violence, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, status as a Vietnam era or disabled veteran, or any other legally protected status.
The deadline for submitting the application is 24 October 2021.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.