Seeking Hard-Working, Dedicated Problem-Solver Field Hydrogeologist in Tanzania Innovation: Africa
We are seeking a highly trained and qualified individual to join our Tanzania team as a Field Hydrogeologist to work in the Dodoma Region of Tanzania. This position works under the supervision of the local Project Manager and is responsible for overseeing geophysical surveys, drilling of boreholes, technical implementation of iA solar water pumping systems, liaise with local solar water contractors and in- house engineers, as well as providing technical support in all projects. The Field Hydrogeologist will also be responsible for all iA field activities, including identifying and selecting the beneficiaries of our projects, actively engaging in community mobilization and sensitization, establishing and maintaining regular communication with the communities we serve, implementing project-related activities, providing regular reports and ongoing monitoring of the projects. As this is predominantly in-the-field work, candidates should expect frequent travel to the field to identify new projects, oversee the construction and implementation of ongoing projects, and monitor completed projects.
Reports To: Local Project Manager & Country Director in Israel
- Oversee and lead activities related to the supervision, data capturing and analysis of all stages of the implementation of iA solar water pumping systems
- Work closely with the local contractor to plan and implement all solar water pumping systems
- Manage on-site work during all stages of the system construction and installation that is: geophysical survey, borehole drilling, installation and water distribution points
- Supervision of geophysical survey, drilling, development of the borehole, yield testing and water quality analysis from initial testing through to final reporting
- Independently assess needs for maintenance work (post-installation) in projects where a malfunction exists, and provide sustainable solutions
- Maintain regular contact with Innovation: Africa’s engineers in Israel to successfully implement and monitor new solar technologies and remote monitoring systems
- Research and implementation of best survey practices and borehole drilling & development equipment in all iA projects
- Conduct community technical trainings and sensitization to all iA water beneficiaries on water management for water and agricultural use
- Support field team and conduct effective sensitization to all iA water beneficiaries, including establishing project steering committees
- Support the Project Manager to manage relationships with municipal officers, local leaders, and international stakeholders
- Send daily updates and regular progress reports to international management team regarding prospective projects, construction and implementation of current projects, and monitor existing projects
The ideal candidate is a dedicated team-player with strong interpersonal skills and a background in solar powered water systems. Applicants must have competitive experience in community development and mobilization, as well as experience working with international stakeholders. The candidate must demonstrate a proven passion for working with the community and possess strong detail orientation and problem-solving skills.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree or professional diploma in Geohydrology or closely related field
- Master’s Degree an advantage
- At least 10 experience supervising borehole drilling and borehole development
- Experience supervising drilling and borehole development in NGO focusing on community development projects
- Technologically oriented with excellent computer skills, including proficiency in email and Microsoft Office software
- Driver’s license and off road driving experience
- Ability to commit to flexible working hours, including weekends
- High proficiency in English; both writing and speaking
- Ability to relocate to Dodoma Region in Tanzania
- Able to speak Swahili and with a good personality
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Please send your cover letter and CV as a single PDF attachment
The file name should be saved as your full name and please specify which job position you are applying for in the subject line of the email.
As an international organization, our team works in New York, Israel, and Africa, and is constantly on the move. To maintain close contact despite our travel schedules, we regularly use technology solutions, such as WhatsApp and Skype. The ideal candidate thrives in this type of fast-paced environment and is comfortable working with colleagues in different time zones and continents.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
About Innovation Africa
Innovation: Africa (iA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization whose team of dedicated problem solvers work together to bring solar and water technologies to rural communities in Africa in need living in rural African villages. We use solar energy to pump clean water and provide schools, orphanages, and medical clinics with light and refrigeration to store vaccines and medicines. iA has completed over 300 solar, water, and agricultural projects, providing light, clean water, food and proper medical care to more than 2 million people in Ethiopia, Tanzania, Malawi, South Africa, Uganda, Cameroon, Senegal and the Democratic Republic of Congo.