Requisition ID: req5283
Job Title: Deputy Education Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Kibondo, Tanzania
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been providing education services for Congolese and Burundian girls and boys in the Nyarugusu Refugee Camp since January 2014 and extended education services to Mtendeli refugee camp in March 2016. Services cover the full education spectrum from pre-school, through primary and secondary school, Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET), and tertiary education applications. Schools follow the country of origin national curriculum (Burundian and Congolese).
Scope of work:
The IRC is seeking a committed and motivated Deputy Education Coordinator, to lead implementation of education programmes across the Kigoma region. The Deputy Education Coordinator is expected to provide leadership, management, and coordination of education activities in Nyarugusu and Mtendeli, ensuring community and government engagement throughout. The post holder will lead timely implementation of education activities, within agreed work plans and budgets. The Deputy Education Coordinator will be responsible for directly supervising the education managers, building their capacity in project management and reporting. The post holder will ensure effective coordination and communication with external stakeholders, including government representatives.
The IRC is the consortium lead for an upcoming project to be delivered in partnership with Caritas and Plan International. The two year project is designed to increase access to quality education for children in Nyarugusu, Mtendeli, and Nduta refugee camps. The Deputy Education Coordinator will play a significant role in implementation of activities and coordination across camps and between partner organizations.
This position will report to the Education Coordinator and is contingent on the IRC being awarded funding. It is anticipated to begin in July or August 2019.
Program Management and Implementation
- Lead implementation of all of IRC education programs, including development of detailed implementation, procurement, and spending plans and follow-up on progress;
- Conduct regular meetings with project staff and community members to assess progress toward objectives, discuss issues and assist in finding solutions to challenges identified.
- Review project budget spending and closely track progress and address any challenges and project monthly expenditure;
- Regular communication and coordination with Education Coordinator on technical and project management issues.
- Lead in the compilation of donor reports and periodic updates as needed.
- Closely coordinate with relevant IRC departments (SC, Grants, Finance and HR) to ensure smooth implementation of all education projects.
- Assess and respond to capacity building needs of all direct reports and the wider education team (education officer and M&E team).
Representation & Partnership
- Support the Education Coordinator when necessary in representing IRC in sector coordination meetings and interagency activities and promote IRC’s leadership in education programs.
- Lead implementation of interagency assessments.
Program Management and Business Development
- Participate in program design and the development of new proposals in line with the Strategic Action Plan and
- Outcomes and Evidence Framework.
- Compile learning from project implementation to inform the design of future programs.
- Support budget development and activity plans for new proposals and concept papers.
- Lead the development of communication materials highlighting the achievement of IRC and the impact it brings to the people served by IRC projects.
- Supervise and mentor direct-report staff, including communicating clear expectations, setting performance objectives, providing regular and timely performance feedback, and leading documented semi-annual performance reviews.
- Promote and monitor staff care and well-being; approve and manage all leave requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Offer leadership support for successful adherence by staff to IRC’s Global HR Operating Policies and Procedures and the IRC way.
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation, The IRC Way, and Child Safeguarding Policy (TZ specific and global), as per the IRC Tanzania reporting mechanism.
- Participate in recruiting, training and mentorship of camp-based staff
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher qualification (Master’s Degree preferred) in education
- Minimum of five years of relevant, progressively responsible, professional experience in managing the technical implementation of complex humanitarian and development education programs in developing countries.
- Minimum 4 years successful staff management, and coaching experience
- Remote management experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated Skills and Competencies
- A commitment to IRC’s mission and humanitarian principles.
- Receptive to building and maintaining positive relationships with people from all backgrounds, genders, cultures and viewpoints.
- Demonstrable understanding of the Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE).
- Experience in overseeing and managing multiple large education projects.
- Previous experience working with children, and especially vulnerable children required.
- Prior experience working with refugees, preferably in a camp setting and rural communities is desirable.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative required.
- Highly collaborative and consultative approach.
- Excellent IT skills: knowledge of MS Word; Excel and Outlook required.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click ”APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About International Rescue Committee (IRC)