Internews Tanzania is seeking to recruit a qualified Accountant to provide financial services to its project in Tanzania
JOB TYPE: Full-Time (This is a national position – only Tanzanian citizens will bevconsidered)
LOCATION: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
SUPERVISOR: Senior Finance and Administration Manager
SCOPE OF THE ROLE:
The Accountant is responsible for providing finance & accounting services to all programmes managed by Internews in Tanzania. She/He is also responsible for keeping proper supporting documentation for all transactions and implementing Internews policies and procedures. The position works closely with the Senior Finance and Administration Manager to ensure that programmes are compliant at all levels with Funders’ rules and regulations. The Accountant also works with other Internews staff in the Regional office in Kenya and at HQ in the USA. This is a position which requires sound accounting technical knowledge and skills.
- Prepares Payment Vouchers and General Ledger vouchers for review and approval
- Performs banking transactions as required
- Makes payments to meeting participants as required
- Regularly posts transactions in Internews ERP (Business World)
- Ensures proper supporting documentation is provided and attached for all transactions and that Internews accounting policies and procedures are properly implemented.
- Reconciles the petty cash account for replenishment as required
- Files Vouchers and other Financial documents as required
- Scans Payment Vouchers and other financial documents for electronic filing as required
- Alerts the supervisor about aging advances issues.
Any other relevant tasks as assigned
- Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- At least 3 years of operational/financial experience, in a Business or nonprofit environment is required.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills. Kiswahili communication skills also required.
- Excellent Information Technology skills (including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Finance systems).
- Willingness and ability to learn and apply new concepts and systems, including new financial and administration software as appropriate.
- Respect for confidentiality; affinity with Internews core values, objectives and beliefs.
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach to work with the ability to be part of a team.
- Excellent organizational skills; demonstrated ability to follow tasks through to completion, over time;
- Self-starter; ability to work independently;Multi-tasker; capable of working on multiple projects at one time, often under pressure
- Ability to keep accurate records and statistics
- Attention to detail and a conscientious attitude
- Awareness of administrative and financial regulations and how to apply them to daily workflows
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB”button above to apply for this job.
About Internews Tanzania
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.