Program Coordinator and Communications Specialist in East Africa
(Open to East Africa Nationals only)
Land O’Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-fork, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) will be supporting the Trade of Agriculture Safely and Efficiently (TRASE) program in the East African Community (Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, and Tanzania) to enhance its Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) Systems and harmonization efforts. SPS systems and regulations must be in place to ensure food is safe and wholesome for domestic consumption and trade and this project will integrate SPS systems into policy and institutions. By working with the EAC governments to design specific intervention and focusing on risk management and regulatory authorities, SPS systems can improve value chains and ensure there are measures in place to protect the safety of domestic food supplies and drive increased regional and international trade. Activities will make substantial contributions to increasing agricultural productivity and expand trade of agricultural products.
The project coordination and communication specialist will ensure that planned activities are not only effectively implemented, but also presented to the region and the stakeholders in a timely, accurate and appealing fashion. The PC shall coordinate implementation of TRASE project activities and the TRASE communication plan in the 5 EAC partner states of Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda, working closely with the Chief of Party, the Sanitary and Phytosanitary Advisors and the Monitoring and Evaluation Manager to facilitate well-coordinated national and regional activities, whilst ensuring effective communication channels are maintained at all operational levels.
Reporting: The position shall report to the TRASE project Chief of Party. However, the position can be located from any of the East African partner states (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania or Uganda). We currently have field offices from Kenya and Rwanda; work can be remote from Burundi, Uganda, or Tanzania, though we expect to add additional offices in one or more of these countries.
Support implementation of the TRASE Communication Plan
- Work with the project team in the planning, development and implementation of communication activities that support SPS reforms across the public and private sectors in the region
- Engage with the TRASE SPS country advisors, coordinate the development of communication products, over-see the quality of design, accuracy of content and its suitability for target audiences;
- Facilitate the development of the project crisis communication plan;
- Facilitate the COP and SPS Advisors to represent and act on behalf of TRASE as necessary, at TRASE events as well as partners’ events such as conferences, workshops and, meetings;
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder feedback mechanism—keeping track of complaints and recommendations and following up with the project team to ensure they are addressed;
- Work with the MEAL Manager to undertake periodic reviews of the communication plan implementation and provide necessary updates to the project team;
- Coordinate preparation of conference presentations and other technical outputs based on the TRASE work plan under implementation;
- Assist the MEAL manager to identify, collect, store and disseminate qualitative information and case studies to stakeholders;
- Liaise with the LOL Venture37 corporate communication team to facilitate development of case studies and communication materials as necessary
- Coordination of Calendar of events, TRASE and EAC SPS meetings
- Maintain a calendar of SPS meetings, workshops, and other activities organized by the EAC secretariat, development partners and other stakeholders;
- Maintain and coordinate a calendar of key TRASE project events at national and regional levels;
Work with the project team to coordinate national SPS Committees in the planning, organizing and execution of the EAC SPS Committee meetings;
- Work with the project team in planning, organizing and executing the TRASE project Steering Committee meetings;
- Support implementation of the TRASE Work Plan
- Participate in the development of project work plans;
- Coordinate national SPS committees to implement the TRASE work plan, as well as utilize multiple media channels to reach a wide range of stakeholders from the public and private sectors;
- Coordinating SPS advocacy activities implemented by the key private sector partners;
- Maintain and continuously update a database of TRASE stakeholders;
- Facilitate information sharing across the various stakeholders (donors, EAC secretariat, government ministries & departments, SPS competent authorities and private sector entities involved in project implementation.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Communications, Media Studies, Public Relations, Journalism, Law, Marketing, etc)
- At least five years’ experience undertaking coordination and communication related functions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literate with capability in email, MS Office, infographics and related business and communication tools.
- Content writing experience for all media platforms and social media and networking expertise.
- Experience in coordinating multi-country operations preferably in International Governmental or non-Governmental organisations
Closing date 30 Apr 2020
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.