Senior Exploration Geologist (2 Posts)
Barrick Gold Corporation seeks to employ 2 Senior Exploration Geologists to work with the Exploration Department in Bulyanhulu at North Mara Mines, Tanzania (1 role in each). The roles will report to the Exploration Manager and will be accountable to help execute the exploration programs, provide leadership, strategy and systems that delivers optimal evaluation and development of potential resources in our existing mines and regional targets. Manage the addition of more ounces of gold to inventory and Mineral Resource through discovery of additional resources around mines and via Brownfield programs utilizing efficient and effective budgets. Ensure on time delivery of geological inputs into Mine Planning and Operations functions. Assist as required in programs to develop geological skills for future operations.
Reporting to: Exploration Manager
- Under the supervision of the exploration manager execute exploration programs, including but not limited to mapping, soil sampling, drill rig supervision, core logging, manage field logistics, collect geological data, and evaluate results on a daily basis in a safe and cost-effective manner
- Participate in exploration program planning to ensure that programs are designed considering alternative options, costs, target rankings and are in line with Life of Mine strategy
- Participate in reducing overall exploration costs through effective management, option analysis, minimizing delay times, control of consumables etc
- Develop detailed documentation to justify proposed exploration programs in order to support Capital applications and Budgets
- Ensure data capture is subjected to rigorous quality control
- Ensuring high quality synthesis maps and presentation are established on all key projects with a focus of geological context in time.
- Develop regional-, target-, and deposit-scale geological models as exploration progresses (lithology, structure, alteration, and mineralization)
- Brownfields opportunities are reviewed / updated, ranked and staged programs defined, scheduled and cost accounted. Justification presented to Exploration Manager for consideration
- Drilling programs progress as planned in a safe manner with holes drilled and logged at planned cost. Progress and results are communicated to management in timely fashion
- Ensure lithological and structure wireframes / models are continually updated with new data
- Ensure optimal drilling schedule is adhered to and deliver priority targets in timely manner to deliver datasets for
- Mineral Resource updates in line with the Mine Planning cycle. The incumbent will also be required to evaluate sections maps and plans for the drilling programs.
- High degree of interaction with other leaders (removing silos between teams)
- Provide technical leadership for the exploration team including review, development and maintenance of best practice technical exploration systems and protocols;
- In collaboration with the Exploration Manager will ensure technical coaching for professional development purposes and a proactive mentorship of junior staff. Identify high performers and align for advancement
- Be proactive in approaching and building teamwork with Department Team Members
- Assist Exploration Manager with all reporting requirements to government and all other stakeholders to be concise, effective & delivered on schedule
- Ensure Exploration Department members and associated contractors had Zero LTIs. Increased focus on reporting and investigation of high potential incidents
- Immediate stoppage of unsafe behaviors. Proactive in sending safety messages, safety alerts, interactions with teams and participating in safety meetings. FLRA conducted at all work places without fail
- Ensure working in corruption free environment
- Zero Reputational damaging incidents;
A minimum bachelor’s degree in Geology or Earth Science; however, a post-graduate degree would be an asset.
Member of the SEG or equivalent
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience in mineral exploration
- Experience in managing exploration data/drilling programs
- An ability to think across-scales and to integrate diverse, large datasets
- Experience developing geological models at both the deposit- and regional-belt scales
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- Solid knowledge of Intrusion Related / Archean and/or Paleoproterozoic gold deposit models
- Regional-scale targeting and exploration experience
- An excellent understanding of geological settings, deposit models, and ore-forming processes as it pertains to the latest concepts of gold deposit environments.
- A demonstrated commitment to safety, environment, and community
- Good hands-on experience in field work, exploration data & drilling programs
- Shown to be self-motivated and possesses leadership abilities
- Previous work experience with Leapfrog, ArcGIS, MicroMine, and other related software platforms
- Hazard identification and Risk assessment
- Mine health &Safety Act awareness
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Applicants are invited to submit their CV’s/Resume’s (indicating the role title in the subject)
If you are not contacted by Barrick – North Mara Gold Mine LTD within thirty (30) days after the closing date, you should consider your application as unsuccessful. Short listed candidates may be subjected to any of the following: security clearance; competency assessment; physical capability assessment, reference checking.
Please forward applications before 25th July, 2021.
About North Mara Gold Mine Limited
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
A comprehensive compensation package including bonuses, benefits, and where applicable.
Ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
If you are not contacted by Barrick - North Mara Gold Mine LTD within thirty (30) days after the closing date, you should consider your application as unsuccessful. Short listed candidates may be subjected to any of the following: security clearance; competency assessment; physical capability assessment, reference checking.