Job DescriptionPCI is a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing diseases, improving community health, and promoting sustainable development worldwide. With support from Eleanor Crook Foundation and Conrad N. Hilton Foundation, PCI Tanzania is implementing an implementation research study in the Mara Region of Tanzania called Malezi Bora: “Engaging Fathers for Effective Child Nutrition and Development in Tanzania (EFFECTS)”, in collaboration with the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, Purdue University, and the African Academy of Public Health.
To understand the benefits of integrating nutrition and early child development interventions and the benefits of engaging fathers in these interventions, the project consists of 4 intervention arms (in addition to a control arm). Across the study arms, women’s and men’s peer groups will be facilitated by Community Health Workers (CHWs) in 64 communities throughout Musoma Rural and Butiama Districts
Working closely with the Malezi Bora Project Manager, Malezi Bora District Field Supervisors, Malezi Bora M&E officers, and the Community Health Workers (CHWs), the Field Supervisor in collaboration with the Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing Malezi Bora project implementation including the functioning of 96 peer groups in the community.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Field Supervisor will be expected to:
- Plan and implement Malezi Bora activities in collaboration with other Malezi Bora team members.
- Define tasks and required resources and allocate project resources for effective project implementation.
- In collaboration with the Project Manager, manage the project budget.
- Monitor and report on project progress.
- Present to stakeholders reports on progress as well as problems and solutions.
Training of CHWs
With other Malezi Bora team members, plan for and participate in CHW training and ensure CHWs are empowered to deliver the intervention and promote behaviour change.
Technical Support and Quality Assurance:
- Regularly review project monitoring data and advise on quality assurance/ improvement measures.
- Ensure that the logistics are properly coordinated to support the work of the other Field Supervisors and CHWs.
- Ensure adherence to the Malezi Bora protocol by each CHW in accordance with their assigned study arm.
Mentorship and Supportive Supervision
- Ensure that a mentorship and supportive supervision plan is in place for all trained CHWs.
- Plan and facilitate monthly support meetings for the CHWs.
- Ensure that participant feedback on training and supportive supervision processes is synthesized and fed into planning for future activities such as refresher trainings, and supportive supervision activities.
- Take responsibility for the effective flow of communication and information between and among all stakeholders, including the Malezi Bora team and CHWs
- Ensure that the Program Manager and the Malezi Bora global team are aware of the bottlenecks, constraints, and challenges at community level and at project level, and leverage their support to resolve these at all levels as appropriate.
Documentation, Monitoring, & Reporting
- In coordination with the M&E officers, ensure that the data collection tools are readily available, and information is entered correctly and promptly.
- Ensure that all project documentation is properly completed, stored and submitted.
- Bachelor’s degree in Nutrition, Community Development, Education, Sociology or related field required. Master’s degree highly preferred.
Training or background in Early Childhood Development is an added advantage.
Experience & Skills
- At least 5 years professional experience in community development work for international NGOs/aid organizations.
- Experience coordinating or managing projects at regional and district levels.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting, mentoring and training other staff in community mobilization, nutrition, early childhood development, and/or social and behavior change interventions.
- Experience in collaboration with partners, government officials, community leaders, and community-based organizations;
- Technical knowledge of and experience with nutrition best practices and nutrition context in Tanzania.
- Excellent skills and experience using technology for data collection, such as mobile phone or tablet-based data collection.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office suite, including knowledge of common statistical software packages, relational database systems, and web technologies.
- Strong Kiswahili and English writing skills to prepare reports, promotional materials and oral presentations.
- Innovation & creativity: demonstrated experience with contributing new ideas for solving various program/organization related issues.
- Technical experience with implementing or managing early childhood development projects at district and community levels.
- Experience working with men/fathers for improved child nutrition or child development.
- Prior experience building capacity of CHWs.
- Understanding of basic research concepts and methodologies.
- Experience with human subjects’ research and supporting randomized controlled trials, operations research, or process evaluations.
- Experience working in Mara region of TZ.
This position is based in the Mara region and requires frequent travel within the district.
- Applicants must be comfortable with driving motorbikes.
- Other Required Professional Skills:
- Nutrition and/or early childhood development technical skills
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Thinks and acts strategically
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Creativity and resiliency in face of challenges.
- Builds relationships/teamwork; great mentorship skills
- Works efficiently & effectively
- Commitment to quality and protection of human subjects
- Strong verbal and written command of Kiswahili and English language with strong
- communication and presentation skills
- Excellent planning skills
- Uses good judgment
- Demonstrates adaptability
- The position is directly reporting to Project Manager EFFECTS.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please enclose a detailed CV together with copies of relevant testimonials and cover letter
- A first review of candidates will happen after May 24th, 2019
- PCI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourage women to apply.
- Only Successful Candidates will be contacted