Marketing and Communications Fellow
The Small Things, a small grassroots non-profit located in Nkoaranga, Arusha, Tanzania is looking for a qualified Marketing and Communications Coordinator.
The Small Things strives to keep vulnerable and orphaned children in the Meru District of Tanzania in their families by creating sustainable, participatory and evolving care plans for their future. For those families most at-risk, we provide loving residential care in an effort to further strengthen the community’s long-term capacity.
This is a full-year coordinator position, that is possible to start remote, with the understanding that the fellow will move to Nkoaranga, Tanzania within 3 months of start date. This fellowship is a great jumping point for a career working in communications in non-profits. We are seeking an individual with a degree in marketing and communications and/or trackable experience to match. Fellows are provided with learning resources, professional development, Swahili lessons, housing, internet stipends, and a living stipend concurrent to Tanzanian living standards.
- Plan and execute marketing materials and public relations with development team. Prepare content and assist in producing all communications including the monthly children’s village letter, quarterly newsletter, press releases, blogs content, with development team
- Manage and coordinate communication calendar for social media channels in collaboration with Sponsorship + Communications Coordinator
- Develop and implement creative and effective storytelling strategies that help generate additional sponsors and donors
- Research and recommend platforms for storytelling and innovative new communication techniques
- Assist development team with post visitor and volunteer communication and stewardship
- Monitor and log incoming communication and media coverage
- Research and send out communications to potential media and speaking engagement
- Write 1-2 blog posts sharing stories of TST, our families, and your experience as a fellow
- With the development team, create pitches for articles + press releases
- Copywriting, editing, and proofreading internal and external communications, including reports and other program deliverables
- Create and manage marketing and communications strategy, digital media press kit, and best practice guide book for best ROI
- Manage all advertisement platforms used for volunteers, interns, and visitors, finding new and creative ways to publicize our Social Impact Tour program
- Assist in copy editing and website content
- Communicate with development team to create new, innovative ways to engage donors, sponsors and increase
- Find the best platforms for fundraising campaigns and events; create marketing strategy and calendar for all campaigns
- Create marketing materials to distribute to our donors, such as sponsorship cards, family profiles, videos, photos, data visualization, and short articles
- Participate in organization’s fundraising efforts through marketing campaigns
Social Media (15%)
- Manage the TST Instagram and assist in Facebook management
- Engage with current and potential supporters on all social media platforms
- Publicize TST’s programs and projects by engaging with online communities, especially Facebook + Instagram
- Assist is social media scheduling + create a social media strategy to increase conversions into donors, visitors, sponsors, volunteers
- Native English speaker, or equivalent level of written and spoken fluency
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or relevant field; or equivalent work experience in the field of marketing, reporting, communications, PR, or related field
- Computer literacy in MS Office or equivalent; experience with WordPress and Google Drive a plus
- Experience working with children
- Experience working in the developing preferred
- Proficiency in Swahili is preferred but willingness to learn is essential!
- Demonstrated track record of PR/marketing success, ideally with small organizations or businesses preferred
- Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, take direction from others, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of TST
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions and communicates changes effectively
- A collaborative, open team-player who’s able to maintain and support a wide range of stakeholders of various positions and ages
- A flexible, self-motivated go-getter who’s able to work with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds
Detail-oriented yet able to never lose sight of the bigger picture and long-term goals
- Salary range $250-$750 per month based on experience
- Housing provided: shared kitchen/bathroom with private room, internet stipend
- Breakfast and lunch available onsite Monday-Friday
- Access to private car in evenings/weekends
- Flying AMREF Coverage for one year
28 paid days of vacation
- Assistance in acquiring visa and permits
- Living minutes from Arusha National Park with access to cultural excursions, and within half hour of Arusha town; Swahili lessons
- This is an excellent opportunity for anyone looking to help contribute to a passionate, locally managed NGO with a lot of room to grow; possibility promotion after one year
First three months can be performed remotely with the understanding that after 3 months, the fellow should expect to come and live in Tanzania full time.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB’ button above to apply for this job.