Standard Chartered Bank
Leading the way in International Banking. We support the people and companies driving investment, trade and wealth creation across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. And our heritage and values are expressed in our brand promise – here for good. See our Brand and Values
We are currently looking for a Head of Financial Markets and Financial Markets Sales for Tanzania.
Working closely with the Business and with the Country, the role holder will
• Develop and execute a country FM/CIB strategic plan in collaboration with Business Heads for optimizing revenue and Return on RWA whilst maintaining robust risk management and governance processes in line with Bank and regulatory requirements and expectations.
• Lead the FM team and associated functions to deliver the FM/CIB strategic plan in country.
• This role has supervisory responsibilities and therefore the Bank’s supervisory principles must be followed.
With Head of IC/IF, and working closely with the Global Product Heads and Country Management Team:
• Develop and execute a Country FM strategic plan that is coherent and designed to ‘win’ at the country level consistent with the Global FM Strategy within approved risk appetite and portfolio standards. The strategy will cover all segments, and include a robust risk, governance and control framework, and the people plan required to support sustainable delivery with 12 month specifics and a 1-3 year view.
• Drive multiple key country-pair corridors; improve our performance in banking the Cross-Border Trade and Investment flows across all our markets.
With Head of RC, CB and IC/IF, and working closely with the Global Product Heads and Country Management Team (CMT);
• Interpret and implement client strategy (and exceptions) – including appropriateness and suitability – at the country level consistent with the Global FM Strategy.
• Deliver on country budgets including any signed-off offshore budgets or budgets booked elsewhere.
• Ensure development of support platforms which includes all functions (people, technology and processes) matches’ needs of client facing activities.
• Involve in active monthly performance monitoring – spot areas of underperformance and take corrective action.
• Accountable for Operational Risk losses
• Ensure that all processes in country are adhered to in line with approved policies and procedures
• Ensure that country through root cause analysis is performed on operational risk event and deficiencies acted upon.xhj
People and Talent
With Business Heads, and working closely with the Global Product Heads (joint responsibility on appointments, compensation and career management) and Country Management Team (CMT):
• Coaching, guidance and management of the FM team to ensure they deliver against the ambitious financial, non-financial and risk /control objectives.
• Develop strategic resourcing approach with country HR to ensure robust identification, selection of key critical hires and deployment of appropriate talents across FM/Business to deliver the strategy.
• Accelerating the next generation of leaders
• Inspire people through leading by example and living the values consistently.
• Enhance the reputation in the Markets, through personally demonstrating a high level of professionalism, and developing Bank’s mutually beneficial working relationships with authorities, customers, agents, advisers, counter-parties, etc
• Accountable for all escalation from country to FM Head and Product Heads to other stakeholder in senior management, risk or control functions as appropriate.
• Ensure strategic execution remains within the agreed Risk appetite and portfolio standard through appropriate engagement in the various committees as required.
• Provide leadership in the country ALCO for optimisation and control of the bank’s assets and liabilities, and markets risk issues, ensure that FM Operates within the ALCO policies and guidelines to maintain the statutory, operational and stress liquidity targets and ratios at all times.
• Remain alert to the risk of money laundering and assist in the Bank effort in combating it by adhering to the key principle in relation to identify and knowing our customers, reporting suspicious, safeguarding records and not disclosing suspicions to customer. Ensure to undertake training aimed to combating money laundering.
• Ensure employees are adequately trained and competent for the roles they perform, including any internal authorisation processes.
• Provide oversight in country, ensuring compliance with the highest standards of regulatory conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws, other applicable laws (e.g. laws governing securities activities, company law) and anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines.
• Engage with all audits report findings, relevant to the FM Business in country and ensure feedback is acted upon.
• In collaboration with country CEO, develop and sustain relationship with external parties to ensure that the bank is viewed as a thought leader and active contributor in the financial services industry in shaping local (and where possible region) regulatory policy and development. In addition, ensure a broad approach to engagement, not just with formal authorities but with other thought leaders and power-brokers/policy influencers in the country.
• Provide leadership in Financial Market Tanzania to comply with the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements.
• Understand and ensure compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations and guidelines including those governing securities activities, company law, anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct.
• Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role.
• Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
• University degree in a commercial/financial discipline with good analytical skills and ability to make speedy and accurate decisions under pressure.
• A broad and detailed knowledge of the Financial Markets product range with 5 years relevant trading room experience.
• Willingness to take measured risks
• Proficiency for evaluating market conditions and responding quickly, proactively and positively
• Broad knowledge of banking practices and local banking regulation
• Understanding of cultural, ethnic and religious market conditions in order to translate regional strategy in to effective local operation.
• Good analytical and decision making skills
• Communication and presentation skills in order to influence senior stakeholder outside the incumbent’s sphere of control
• Ability to market and establish client relationships
• Ability to work in a matrix organisation
• Continuous judgement is needed with regards to the movement in external economic factors and their impact on the trading positions taken
• Multi-product and multi-cultural environment
A diverse culture We are committed to building a culture that fosters a diverse and inclusive environment that’s free from bias, where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution. This is just one of our values that is expressed in our brand promise – here for good.