We are looking for an experienced Farm Manager to work at SAT-Farmer Training center Farm. As a farm manager, you’ll be responsible for the work of farm staff, farm administrative issues and all financial aspects of the farm. As the farm manager you will also deal directly with suppliers, customers and other stakeholders. Keeping up with new developments and ensuring compliance with regulations also falls under your areas of responsibility. Many farms have diversified in recent years and include keeping livestock of varying species and all these projects will also be overseen by you in your role. Note that many farms are concerned with arable crops as well as livestock so please check the reference for Farm Manager (Crops) as well. Your duties will vary with the type of livestock being reared.
· Planning and implementing breeding programs of farm animals
· Implementing new agroecological farming technologies which minimizes costs and enhances production and productivity
· Ensuring the farm is compliant with various legal guidelines and working to minimize the environmental impact of the business, for instance via waste disposal
· Monitoring the health and welfare of the livestock
· Keeping all farm records including the movements of all livestock into and out from the farm
· With the support of the Horticulture expert /supervisor ensure the horticulture section is properly managed and production is enhanced
· Marketing and selling the livestock and livestock products to a variety of customers
· Managing any farm diversification activities
· Scheduling repairs, maintenance, and replacement of equipment and machinery.
· Undertaking practical work as necessary depending on the volume of work
· Recruiting and managing farm staff following discussion with the management and ensuring they work safely and effectively
· Managing cash flow and developing and monitoring budgets
As a Farm Manager you’ll be likely to spend a lot of your time in the office and farm making sure that everything is moving along profitably and dealing with suppliers, customers and other stakeholders. This doesn’t mean that you won’t be expected to undertake manual work around the farm at times which may involve physical labour in dirty conditions.
You’ll need to be able to manage a team and solve problems as they arise without delay. Generally, the role is for someone who is interested in farming as a business enterprise, as well as in science and nature generally.
WHAT QUALIFICATIONS ARE DEMANDED?
Applicants will be required to have relevant minimum Diploma in Livestock, animal production, range management or Animal science or Degree in Agricultural Sciences.
Working experience Minimum 3 years.
Alternatively, the candidate may have originally commenced employment in a farm business as a farm worker with an Apprenticeship level qualification in a subject such as Agriculture, specializing in livestock or animal husbandry
The ability to make decisions in stressful environments, super communication and interpersonal skills and willingness to work overtime as required will be a plus.
· An application letter describing your motivation for the position
· Recommendation letter
· Up-to-date Curriculum Vitae
· Copy of NIDA Card or NIDA Number
· Photocopy of academic certificates and transcripts
Applications should be addressed to
Human Resource Manager
Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT),
P.O Box 6369,
Applications should be submitted online here
The deadline for receiving applications is 11th October, 2021
About SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE TANZANIA
Sustainable Agriculture Tanzania (SAT) is a grassroots organization with registration number 00NGO/R/0833. SAT works closely with small-scale farmers on organic farming and stakeholders like universities, companies, and government extension officers. Its holistic approach is built on the four pillars dissemination, research, application, and networking. An exciting opportunity with this dynamic and fast-growing organization awaits the right candidate. This is a busy, high-volume but friendly environment that will suit an organized and professional person with a passion for organic agriculture, community development, a great eye for detail, and plenty of team spirit.