Position: Research Assistant
IITA-TZ-19 – R4D-006 -NRS-DSM
IITA is seeking an experienced, highly talented and digitally savvy candidate to fill the position of Research Assistant.
Duty Station: The position will be based at the IITA Regional Hub for Eastern Africa in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
Criteria for Success / Qualifications
- Minimum of a BSc in Agriculture with a major in agronomy, or a related field
- At least 2 years’ experience in Cassava production
- Good writing skills and ability to communicate in English.
- Ability to communicate in one or more of local major languages.
- Capacity to work effectively in a team
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Highly effective in planning, organizational and multi-tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, but also display team attitude in accomplishment of duties.
- Possession of excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Proficient in the use of computers, database management software, statistical/econometrics analysis software, internet-based tools and other electronic communication tools.
The Research Assistant will perform the following duties, among others:
- Supervise the implementation of on-station, on-farm and demonstration cassava trials for weed management, following trial protocols and agreed work plans.
- Plan field days and training for cassava farmers, extension agents and relevant stakeholders linked to the cassava agronomy trials, particularly the weed management.
- Collaborate closely with Lead Systems Agronomist in determining and supervising of herbicide application protocols.
- Collaborate closely with Lead Systems Agronomist in the correct and timely collection of all relevant research and project data as stipulated in trial protocols, also including contacts of farmers and extension agents (including location, quantities, and pictures).
- Communicate progress and issues observed to the lead Systems Agronomist Tanzania.
- Collate (on a monthly basis) reports of field trials, training, and other farmer participatory activities carried out, in close collaboration with the Tanzania lead Systems Agronomist.
- Implement approved on-farm and demonstration of Cassava trials
Work with the IITA team, plan field days and training for Cassava farmers
The duration of contract for the position is one and half years. This is a nationally recruited position and IITA offers a competitive remuneration package.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications including curriculum vitae, copies of certificates, telephone number, email address, and names and addresses of two referees should be sent to the Country Representative, IITA-Tanzania, Plot No. 25, Mwenge – Coca-Cola Road, Mikocheni Industrial Area P.O, Box 34441, Dar es Salaam,
OR Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
Applicants are requested to please indicate the reference number for the position as indicated on the heading of the announcement in your application as well as on the subject of your email if sending by email. If sending by post or hand delivery, please indicate the reference number on your application as well as on the left-hand side of your envelope, Please note that any applications without the reference number indicated will be automatically disqualified.
About The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA)
Background: The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future