POSITION TITLE: Chief of Party, Tanzania Youth Empowerment and Skills (YES) Activity
The Tanzania Youth Empowerment and Skills (YES) Activity will support the Government of Tanzania to increase the empowerment, productivity, and community engagement of youth through an integrated cross-sectoral activity. Tanzania YES is a four-year education and youth activity supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The objectives will allow youth to become actors in their own well-being and become agents of change and will be tailored to out-of-school youth aged 15-25. This activity will be implemented in three to four regions that include Zanzibar and Dar es Salaam and up to one or two in the following regions: Southern Agricultural Growth Corridor of Tanzania (Iringa, Morogoro, Njombe, Mbeya) and Lake Western Zone (Mwanza, Shinyanga, Mara, Kagera).
Winrock International seeks a Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID/Tanzania Youth Empowerment and Skills Activity. The Chief of Party is responsible for the overall project management, supervision, administration, and implementation of the program. They will establish and maintain systems for project operations; ensure that all agreement deadlines are met and targets are achieved; coordinate and maintain working relationships with project stakeholders (including the Government of Tanzania and private industry stakeholders, subgrantees, and/or subcontractors); lead collaborative initiatives with relevant government ministries and officials as well as private companies; and oversee the preparation and submission of technical and financial reports to USAID.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide overall leadership, management, and technical direction while ensuring alignment with the project’s vision.
- Lead strategic planning of the project, such as annual work planning; oversee implementation of workplan activities and delivery of annual targets.
- Serve as the primary liaison with USAID on strategic, managerial, and technical matters.
- Represent Winrock to USAID, the Government of Tanzania, Tanzanian counterparts, local partners, and program stakeholders.
- Serve as liaison between USAID, government counterparts, program stakeholders, implementing partners, private sector entities, and Winrock’s Human Rights, Education, and Empowerment program unit on all program related matters.
- Monitor and, where necessary, modify programmatic assistance to achieve results; ensure that relevant and complementary activities are implemented effectively; identify issues and risk associated with implementation in a timely manner and guide appropriate adjustments.
- Administer the project’s financial oversight and procedures, ensuring compliance with local labor laws, USAID regulations, and Winrock’s policies and procedures.
- Facilitate close collaboration and teamwork, including mentorship and development of local technical and administrative staff.
- Prior experience with USAID operating procedures, regulations, and reporting requirements.
- Experience leading complex international development programs is required; experience serving as a USAID Chief of Party or other management experience for efforts of similar scope, size, and complexity is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of capacity development, professional development, systems strengthening, monitoring and evaluation, and collaborating, learning, and adapting.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating and cooperating with a wide range of stakeholders, including government officials, private sector businesses, associations, and civil society organizations.
- Familiarity with education sector and youth programming; experience in Tanzania is highly desired.
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
Education: Advanced degree in international education, education policy, youth programming or other relevant technical fields required; PhD preferred.
Technical: Minimum of ten years of technical experience in some or all of the following technical areas: higher education, nonformal education, TVET, workforce development, and capacity development.
- Experience managing international projects to the highest ethical standards.
- Demonstrated success in motivating and supervising diverse teams of employees, including robust mentorship and skills building with project staff and partners, with a focus on transferring concrete skills and knowledge.
- Proven ability to build consensus and coalitions among individuals, civil society groups, private sector, and government officials with competing interests
- Fluency in English is required, and working knowledge of Kiswahili is preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge or understanding of social, economic, and political context governing education and youth issues in Tanzania
- Experience working with the Government of Tanzania at the national and sub-national level desired
- Experience overseeing international donor-funded programs
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills, creative problem solving, ethical management skills
- Computer literate in word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software (Microsoft)
Winrock International is an equal opportunity employer. Tanazanian citizens are strongly encouraged to apply, as are women, people with disabilities and those belonging to discriminated groups.
All employees should adhere to USAID and Winrock International’s code of ethics, and specifically child safeguarding and trafficking in persons provisions covered in the project agreement.
Winrock is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all people and value diversity and inclusiveness. Winrock recruits, employs, trains, promotes and compensates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, or any other basis protected by law.
At Winrock we have a clear mission: Empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity and sustain natural resources through unwavering dedication to accountability, equity, innovation, integrity and transformation.
Winrock knows that its success comes from the hard work and steadfast dedication of its diverse workforce. Winrock remains committed to maintaining diversity, inclusion and equity across the entire organization
MODE OF APPLICATION
Click “APPLY FOR JOB” button above to apply for this job.
About Winrock International